Friday, June 7, 2013

the Beam.

I was inspired to make the beam piece after seeing an image of Robert Morris, Exhibition at the Green Gallery, New York, 1964-65. (image attached below) I am a gymnastics lover and the long beam in the middle reminded me of a balance beam. I could not stop thinking about it as a playground a place where I was allowed to run, jump and hang on the art. I decided that I wanted to make art that you can touch (but then I thought I already do that... I make vessels with the intent that someone will use them), then I thought I will make something that your feet touch. It is not everyday that someone asks you to take your shoes off. (Unless of course your friends with me!) I am interested in the movement of the body, the impression on the clay, the act of balance as you move across, and in the simplest way interested in the people. Who would take my offer to remove their shoes and walk across a beam of soft clay?

Robert Morris, Exhibition at the Green Gallery, New York, 1964-65

No comments:

Post a Comment