Wednesday, November 21, 2012

30 days project: day 17

day 17: movement
Today I realized the importance of the human body in my work. Even though you can't see my hands as the viewer of this video I wonder if you are thinking about my hands unraveling this string? Do you think about my body? Maybe not but it was of the utmost importance to me that I would perform this barefoot and that my feet would be rooted to the ground. I found the act of my hand pulling the string down was equally as important as the string landing on the ground.
I also realized I can't get away from movement. I want to explore movement, the body, interaction, energy, and balance. Yesterday's activity had all of them in one and I felt so complete when it was finished. But that took a little more planning.... so maybe I am simply continually reverting back to movement because it is my go to the easy one? Or is it truly more significant.
Something else important happened yesterday. I could not stop thinking about making pots. Maybe it was triggered by the SLIC pottery sale. I am not completely sure but after talking it out I realized that these days of art making and exploring are very significant to me they are in themselves inspiring me. But I still want to make vessels. I missing holding the clay and making something that will be used and brought into someones home.
During my critique with Brad Schweiger towards the beginning of this project he suggested that I do not make any pots during this project. I took his advice and I have not. I have been busy doing glaze tests but I have pulled my mind away from pots and yet it is beginning to wonder back. So maybe all these ideas, movements, and interactions will simply feed my work to come. Maybe they already are. Well now its almost Thanksgiving and I am headed to the in-laws and will be taking a day off from the studio. I think it will be a good time to think about what I am doing and why? I guess thats a good thing with grad reviews just around the corner!


No comments:

Post a Comment