Sunday, November 17, 2013

30 Days Project Part II: Day 17: morning routine explained, sweets & beets recipe,

Wondering what this project is all about? Check out my first post for Day 1 to get the back story.
Yesterday, I was asked what was in my morning routine. I will be a little more specific. I start with a little aloe juice the pure stuff, no sugar, flavor, or sweetner. The real aloe juice has a medicinal quality similar to the plant as it is used to treat a sunburn. The juice cools your digestive track and is really wonderful for all sorts of stomach issues. I sometimes add a little of the tart cherry juice, it is good for your joints and it makes the mixture not taste so bad. I then add 1/2 a teaspoon yogaraj guggulu a Ayurvedic herb mixture for joint health and calming for the vata constitution it is available from Banyon Botanicals. I then put 3/4 teaspoon turmeric, turmeric is a complex Ayurvedic herb and culinary spice. I use it to reduce inflammation and joint pain, but there are many uses. I take 2 teaspoons of fish oil following the morning routine, it is lemon flavor its subtle but I think it tastes good. I used to take most of these in the pill form but I realized that powder and liquid were very reasonably priced in comparison so I made the switch.
Breakfast stewed apple with cloves and warm tea.


I enjoyed yesterdays lunch so much
I made it again today. Farmers
market collards, local eggs, and
goat cheese.


You might have noticed from yesterday's post but the fall farmers market in Ohio is still full of beets and potatoes. I have been trying to figure out how to use them, below is a simple and tasty fall treat.

A Simple Fall Recipe
Sweets & Beets

6 medium beets, peeled and cut into medium chunks
3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into medium chunks
1/2 red onion, chopped
3 tablespoons coconut oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne peper, optional
1 teaspoon sucanat (whole cane sugar) 

Warm the coconut oil on the stove by filling a pan half way with water on medium heat and placing the jar into the water. The oil will begin to melt near the edge of the glass jar. Remove from water and drizzle coconut oil (1 Tbsp.) over beets. Lay the beets out on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees F  for 20 minutes.

While the beets are cooking mix the remaining dry ingredients, garlic, red onion, coconut oil, and sweet potatoes. Flip the beets and add the sweet potato mixture, continue baking for 45 minutes flipping every 20 minutes. Enjoy!

A table that I made with some of my parents old seawall that was taken out of Lake Michigan years ago. The beach wood has made a beautiful table with interchangeable short and tall legs. (Photo with short legs.) My plan is to make a full sized table with benches after I return from Thanksgiving break with a car full of wood! 

No comments:

Post a Comment