Tuesday, November 5, 2013

30 Days Project Part II: Day 5: dish set

Wondering what this project is all about? Check out my first post for Day 1 to get the back story.
30 Days Dish Set.
Today I had a studio visit with one of my committee members and I really began thinking about these vessels and how they have functioned during the start of this project. What I have enjoyed about using them and what has caused me frustration. Starting with the cup, I made it extra big with the intent to drink everything for one month out of this single cup, I wanted it to be big enough to hold the maximum amount of liquid it might need it to hold. The finished cup is a little to wide for my hand, when I grab it from the tabletop my hand does not feel comfortable. The happy spot is a little below where it needs to be. Do you have a favorite cup? What makes it your favorite? Do you use it or simply look at it? The bowl has functioned quite well but the handle has to much volume and I think it would create a better grip for my hand if it was smaller. I have most enjoyed using the plate but it has a few marks on the top from the kiln firing. The handle has the proper fit for my hand and it has a comfortable weight with and without food.

Moving forward, I am going to continue making and thinking about what objects I need. From a berry bowl to the bubble tea straw. At the end of the 30 days my goal is to have a collection of objects that all relate to my daily use and their specific function within my life.
Breakfast smoothies with friends.
Lunch at the studio.
Bubble tea, straws coming soon. 
Todays GOOD NEWS: while getting bubble tea we found out that you get a 10% discount for bringing your own cup. How awesome. I think I have convinced Gun Young to bring her own cup next time!

Now that I am thinking of creating vessels with a specific function in my life I had better make a better cup for bubble tea, and I think it needs a lid. Let the making continue…
Dinner of oranges.

No comments:

Post a Comment