Friday, November 29, 2013

30 Days Project Part II: Day 28: Happy Thanksgiving

Wondering what this project is all about? Check out my first post for Day 1 to get the back story.

My Thanksgiving started with the wonderful Gun Young Kim, roommate, studio-mate, and fellow ceramist. We made a total of 5 pies the scent of pumpkin and apple filled the house. What a wonderful start to a very thankful day. Recipes on tomorrow's blog post.

After a slow morning baking pies, I headed north to the great state of Michigan to visit my family. On the way I made a stop in Detroit to meet my sister and her fiancé. I arrived early and spent a little time waiting at their house. I made a salad for dinner and explored her cupboards to see what kind of dishes they use, see photo below.

On the way to the west side of the state the unthinkable happened, we made a stop at the yellow arches you know the place they are everywhere. I have spent a lot of time avoiding them. The last time I went to a McDonalds was last time I was in the car with my sister and her fiancé. The last time I chose to go to McDonalds that must be back in high school over 10 years ago.

Good or bad McDonalds brought a new adventure to this project. It was a very late night stop somewhere around Lansing, MI off of highway 96. I ordered fries the only thing I could get myself to eat and my sister who was excited about the project asked if she could use my cup to order and chocolate chip frappe. I explained my project and the workers who were happy to fulfill my request. They even poured the frappe directly into my cup without wasting another cup, I was very thankful! 

At the end of the meal my sister and I looked over at her fiancé and we notice the large pile of trash that is covering the table in front of him. It was an interesting variation to there ceramic dishes we had in front of us. He even posed for a picture, see below. I guess I had my first real experience with 'fast food' this evening, I think it will be a last.
Fancy Thanksgiving breakfast garlic, pepper, eggs,
homemade salsa and morning routine.
Salad lunch fresh greenhouse lettuce,
mango, goji berries, blackberries





We are headed to Michigan!
Dinner when I arrived in Detroit, MI
hanging with the little man, salad with goat cheese, pecan,
orange, and avocado.



Bored and waiting ever so patiently for my
sister and her fiancé to arrive. I decided to see
what kind of dishes she had hiding in the
cupboard. Plain white Corning Ware, I might
be suggesting an update soon….
The yellow arches.
Explaining the project.
They did not waste a cup and pored the drink directly
into the cup.
I ordered french fries.
Collette ordered a chocolate chip frappe.


Steve with all the waste he created.
Collette & I

No comments:

Post a Comment