Monday, November 4, 2013

30 Days Project Part II: Day 4: growing lettuce

Wondering what this project is all about? Check out my first post for Day 1 to get the back story.
My Lettuce Crop.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner… It is amazing how much of a shift occurs in what I am eating during the week as opposed to the weekend, where I have time to cook. Does anyone else feel the same way??? My week day meals are typically filled with sandwiches- I do love them and lots of leftovers. Today was breakfast as usual with homemade yogurt. Lunch included a special treat and was eaten in class, details below. During the week I am usually rushing and rarely have time to sit down and eat lunch on Mon/Wed so I eat at the start of class. I was excited to have a salad with the lettuce that we grew for class but I was a little disappointed I wasn't able to finish one of my salad plates in time to eat the first crop. And that I had not brought my dish set with me to eat off. I have been cautiously carrying my dishes to and from home and I decided I did not want to bring them to class until I had a proper caring case. I plan to build a case to house my dish set for easy, convenient, and most importantly SAFE transportation. I wish would have thought about this before I started the project but I guess part of this piece is that it develops as the need arises. I had dinner at the studio after getting out of my evening class. To be honest, I usually eat dinner out of the Pyrex container I bring it to school in. It is simple and requires I only wash one dish. It was a nice shift eating off my dish set even if it means washing a few more dishes.
Breakfast smoothie and homemade yogurt.
Lunch.
Greenhouse class salads.

Leftover Dinner.
I am taking a greenhouse propagation course this semester in the Department of Horticulture and Crop Science with Dr. Peg McMahon a knowledgeable and truly inspiring teacher. I am learning all of the basics of greenhouse propagation and have grown from seed in soil as well as hydroponically. The lettuce in the hydroponic system was ready to harvest so today in class we all had a salad. I am currently working on a set of salad dishes for my person lettuce crop that is doing really well.
The hydroponic system.
My new table space at the Howlett Greenhouse. My plants despritely
needed to come inside.
Ever since the bubble tea I have had my mind set on making some glass straws. My friend Jon in the glass department offered to help me out. I should have some straws by late this week. I am sure this will mean another trip to bubble tea. Like I always say "you can never have to much bubble tea!" -Thanks for reading jeni
Glass artist and 1st year grad Jonathan Capps.
Pulling some long straws.

No comments:

Post a Comment